Job Title : Medical Records Technician
FLSA Status : Non-Exempt (hourly)
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M., occasional overtime as needed.
The ideal candidate for this position will have had at least 3 years’ experience in Medical Records in a busy practice, have proven ability to problem solve, handle multiple calls, respond to patient questions professionally, and complete disability forms.
Summary: Compiles and maintains electronic medical records of patients to document patient condition and treatment by performing the following duties in accordance with the Practice’s core values of Excellence, Innovation, Collaboration, Advancement, Stewardship, and Patient Centered Care.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This is a full-time position which requires consistent attendance, being on time, and conforming to the work schedule as described
A rotation process provides Medical Record coverage to include the following duties:
- Answer and direct incoming calls from the switchboard
- Process documents received thru fax server and electronically within office
- Respond to patient questions regarding portal issues
- Receive and handle incoming calls regarding medical records
- Print and distribute patient history sheets for next day appointments
- Collect, analyze and scan patient information into EHR
- Release medical records to outside entities, ie Disability Determination Services, insurance companies, physicians and patients when
- Process medical records requests from attorneys, including depositions. Follow up on outstanding charges for same
- Coordinate and prepare for requested medical record audits
- Receive and handle incoming calls regarding disability forms
- Process and complete disability forms for patients
- Submit Home Health forms to providers for review & signature
- Import H&P documentation from Vidant into EHR
- Provide medical records and/or referral letters back to referring clinicians, as well as, audit referral loop
- Process STAT dictation requests
- Provide transcription editing for dictation in staff review
- Communicate with providers regarding missing dictation issues
- Assist providers with dictation devices when requested
- Other duties may be required
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Associate's degree (A. A.) in Medical Office Technology or two years’ experience in a medical office setting strongly preferred.
- Strong computer skills required.
- Experience in maintaining confidentiality in dealing with sensitive issues.
- Proven ability in making sound and accurate judgement in problem solving work issues.
- Ability to deal with frequent change, delays, and/or unexpected events.
- Successful record of follow through on commitments and demonstrated dependability.
- Must be highly organized to successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Exhibit pleasant, professional telephone etiquette at all times.
- Must be able to numerically file extensive range of chart numbers quickly and efficiently.
- Extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and talking on the telephone
- Some periods of standing and/or walking
- Occasional lifting and carrying weights up to 25 pounds
- Occasional bending, stooping, and stretching in order to access files.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $11.00 - $13.50 per hour